What's all this I hear about Inertia ?

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Tue Sep 30 09:46:16 MDT 2008

David,
I don't think your being lit up here, just enlightened, if you want to
listen. I went through a lot of the same head scratching as you. I don't
have a background in physic, but I did my best to study what was happening
in the key. Checking out books from the library and applying a lot of what I
learned as a pilot regarding weight and balance. I was convinced that the
small amount of key travel would not be significant and therefore another
lead or 2 wouldn't hurt if it got my balance weight where I wanted it. I did
a lot of experimenting with pianos that had heavy hammers, some with assist
springs that I removed. No matter how nice a static measurement I achieved,
I could always feel when there was too much lead in the key. These were
pianos that I re-weighted 2 or 3 times, playing and feeling them each time.
Not the efficient way to make money, but the only way I seem to be able to
learn.
If you have heavy hammers, or a high action ratio, or even worse both, you
will start to end up with too much lead in the key unless you are using
assist springs. These actions are not going to 'feel' right even though they
may have great numbers. I don't know any way too measure this easily with
weights at the key board, but I have become pretty good at feeling it
through all the great mistakes I've made.
Respectfully,
Fenton