Coffee Serendipity cleanup

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Tue Sep 30 04:10:02 MDT 2008

David's story has inspired me to share a recent job I had
involving, we believe, wine:

There was a party at a client's home, and something got
spilled into the piano. It looked and smelled like wine. The
bass strings were toast, and needed to be replaced. Most of
the bass hammers and alot of the bass dampers were affected
also..stained badly by the spill. My estimate was given to
the client, and she said do it.

I removed the affected parts.

A call to a few hammer makers revealed that they do not sell
just bass hammers..OK - time to get creative:

I had to find a way to lift these stains without affecting
the integrity of the part, and if the integrity was in some
way affected, then that integrity needed to be returned to
that part, specifically the hammers.

I remember using Resolve to lift small stains in my
carpeting..just a little dab on the stain, and it's gone.

hmmmm..

OK - I brought the Resolve down to the shop..poured/spilled
a little into a hypo oiler..and tried #5 hammer. I'm
applying a very small amount to this large wine stain, and
watching it go 'somewhere'. It was dissolving.

OK - I found a way to get out the stain..what about the
integrity?

I put on the new bass strings, and then put the hammers back
on..stain-free..armed with hammer hardeners of lacquer and
acetone/keytop solutions. Much to my surprise, unless I'm
suddenly going deaf, I only had to add hardener to one
hammer. I will add that these hammers were originally
hardened with acetone/keytop, and a small amount one one
hammer is all I needed.

The dampers were treated with Resolve. They got hard, and
were softened with alcohol and a little needling.

Alot of people, with good reason, share their action
re-concoctions and belly work re-configs because they're
improving on an original design that usually needed it.
Here's a case where there was no discovery or intense
studying over numbers. I saved the client money, and the
client is happy.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)