Coffee serendipity

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Tue Sep 30 03:55:24 MDT 2008

No, I assure you, the coffee was on the piano!

On reflection, I realise how fortunate that is, because had it been on the
floor or table and I knocked it over with my foot or brushed it over with
my jacket, the coffee would have gone into the light-coloured carpet. It
would have been much more difficult to avoid or to remove staining then! A
stained wall, I could have re-painted for the customer at minimal cost -
but a permanently stained carpet?

Sorry, I mis-typed the second time, it's Wizz, not Wiss. Probably a UK brand.

I was speaking not of finger nail remover, but of nail polish remover,
whose utility in removing a layer of yellowed molecules from old
discoloured celluloid I previously detailed here.

I didn't have naptha or the UK equivalent of "Gunk-Off" with me; that was
my point. I would have had to go home to retrieve a bottle of "gunk-off"
type stuff I have, and the fact that I tried the Wizz and it worked, saved
me having to do that.  Everything for the best, in the best of all
possible worlds! (Dr. Pangloss).

Best regards,

David.

Any drink, whether it's coffee, Coke, iced tea, or even just water, ALWAYS
sits on a table or on the floor. NEVER on the piano.

Taking gummy residue off keys is best done with naphtha. Finger nail
remover is lacquer thinner, and will dissolve plastic. I've never heard of
Wiss. But I think a product called "gunk off" will do the trick, too.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI