What's all this I hear about Inertia ?

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 18:35:34 MDT 2008

David,

Sometimes when we try to simplify things too much, we find out that we
forgot some things.

One problem that you did not consider, I think, is that inertia when a mass
is rotating is calculated quite differently than when that same mass is
simply set in motion in a straight line.

I like to use the playground teeter-totter as an example.  You can balance
it by placing identical amounts of mass on either end.  It doesn't matter
how much mass you put there, it will always be in balance - the downweight
(if there were no friction) would be zero.

But two masses of one kilogram would be much easier to get moving than two
masses of 100 kg. The more massive balance would be much harder to get
moving.

Also, if you move those two masses equally towards the pivot point, so that
they were very close to the pivot, then felt the resistance to movement at
the ends of the lever, you would find it much easier to move again - as if
the mass had been removed.  This illustrates that the leverage affects the
inertia, even though the mass has not changed.

Don Mannino