Chickering (Wurlitzer) Buzzing Problem (resubmitted)

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Mon Sep 29 04:07:21 MDT 2008

Stuart,
	Tracing these things down can sometimes be something of a nightmare
as you're clearly experiencing. While pressing in the areas you've described
might be eliminating it temporarily the problem might not be located there.
Does this piano have nose bolts? Did you try and tighten them? How about
plate screws? How are the bridge pins? Are the bass strings themselves ok?
I've had some success taking a pair of needle nose pliers gripping the core
wire and tapping with a hammer against the side of the pliers to tighten the
winding.
	I don't know that I'd have ever drilled through a post to get at a
suspect screw unless I was pretty sure that was the problem, especially on a
piano only 12 years old. While pressing in certain areas has cleared up the
problem while you were pressing it seems strongly to be coming from the
piano but I've experienced cases where it was not. Have you tried searching
for the buzz in the surrounding areas? Have you looked at glass in picture
frame, lamp, mics or stands touching, anything really?
	You've probably already looked at most of or all of these things
already. Sorry if this isn't any help. Best of luck!

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté
www.gregspianoforte.com
216-226-3791 (office)