loose wood joints

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 26 18:31:46 MDT 2008

I would proceed with caution with this method.  By the time the heat from the heat gun reached the interior of the joint enough to soften any glue you run a real risk of overheating the finish, causing damage not so easily camouflaged.  There is also the possibility of weakening the veneer glue joint, when applicable.

It could work, but to my way of thinking there are definite inherent problems lurking.  I'd stick with vinegar, when necessary.  Fact is, in my experience most of the time the bench has become rickety to the point anyone wants it fixed, most if not all the joints have been compromised to the point where a sharp blow knocks each joint apart with little trouble.  I use a regular hammer, against a felt-lined chunk of wood.

As always, there are exceptions to every rule...

Mark Potter