Chickering (Wurlitzer) Console Buzz

sdpianotech at itctel.com sdpianotech at itctel.com
Fri Sep 26 08:06:22 MDT 2008

Greetings, List.

I'm stumped.  The piano is about 12 years old and in good shape except
that C#5 and a few surrounding notes create a strong buzz which I
located in the top end of the bass bridge.  My early suspicions were
loose screw/button on back of soundboard and/or loose bridge/apron
glue joint on front of soundboard.  Later thoughts include
delamination of plies in soundboard near end of bridge.  The buzzing
stops if I apply pressure to the bridge, the tiny overhang of apron
sticking out beyond the end of the top end of the bridge, or to the
soundboard area just above the bridge.

My repair attempts were to tighten screw on the back of the soundboard
attaching the bridge (had to drill through back post to get to it) and
work CA glue into bridge/apron/soundboard joints on the front.  None
of this worked.  I did my usual seating of strings and bridge pins
with no noticeable improvement.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?  This piano is played a lot by an
accomplished church musician and the buzzing has got to go.

Thanks to all for any help.

Stuart Davidson
South Dakota, USA