plastic flanges

Gerald Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Fri Sep 26 07:21:21 MDT 2008

Steve,
I don't remember the exact details but John Ford (Ford Piano) many many years ago said that
treating (spraying) the plastic elbows with their Supertone revitalized the plastic and prolonged their functional life.
Perhaps some of the chemical heads in the group could comment on that subject.

Never had the opportunity to experiment as we either deep sixed these pianos or replaced everything
at appropriate cost to the customer. During the plastic period of manufacturing (pre & post war) Aeolian/Jansen and other factories had many configurations for the new age plastic components. Some just the elbows. Some Elbows & damper flanges. Some Elbows,Damper flanges and butt flanges and finally the Full Monte.  Elbows,Flanges, Jacks and even Damper Leavers.  (Those we threw in the Hudson River.... just kidding) It was also during the Alumitone (Aluminum plate) manufacturing period when metal was a premium for the war efforts.

There was a snap on elbow by Vagias which was a polycarbonate type plastic. Schaff used to carry them. They claimed to have no detectable breakdown of their plastic materials, essentially forever. I might even have a set or two left.
I also had a tool for chipping away the plastic out of the whipp area that worked quite well without damaging the pin. A modified plier.

Since it sounds as if you already have your work cut out for you, be sure to inform the customer of your findings as well as the need to increase your fees due to this unforeseen and unanticipated issue of the flanges. DO this immediately, so the customer is not blindsided and you don't loose out on your fee schedule. Ko-mmunication is Key in this situation!
Gerry Cousins

Subject: Plastic flanges

Hey Now,I have a question for the group. I have a spinet action in
  the garage for elbow replacement. I was thinking of doing the alcohol/water
  treatment to the flanges to size the bushings while I got it, just for
  the heck of it. Upon closer inspection I find the damper flanges are
  plastic...hmmmm probably the same plastic that the elbows are made of. What
  effect (if any) would the alcohol/water have on these plastic flanges.
  The hammer and whippen are normal wood flanges. This would be my target area,
  if the solution got onto plastic what might happen?Thanks in advance for any advise...I know I should have left in a hurry, too late for
  that.
Steve Blasyak RPTOrange County Chapter