Plate Crack - how lethal?

A440 Piano Service a440 at bresnan.net
Fri Sep 26 07:04:09 MDT 2008

Hello list,

The recent thread on ethics of cameras reminded me that I had a photo I wanted to share with you all.  I found this plate crack in the upper treble of an upright, and I wondered just how "lethal" it might be.  I passed on tuning the piano - but not just because of this crack.  It has a host of other problems as well.  I just told the customer it wasn't worth the effort, considering they picked it up free from their county's garbage dump.

But for their curiosity and my own, I wonder if such a crack would spell doom, and what other people's opinions and anecdotes might be.

Oh, and the customer was there, OK'd the picture, and is as curious about it as I am.

Thanks,

John Dorr

The sender has included tags, so you can do more with these photos. Download Photoshop (R) Album Starter Edition-Free!
http://www.adobe.com/aboutstarteredition