Old Ivers and Pond to pitch raise or not to...

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Thu Sep 25 10:38:21 MDT 2008

Technically, yes, if wire is going to break, it's going to break; so just
yanking it up (w/lube and a slight drop first, as others have said) is usually
going to be just fine. However, from a business relations point of view, there
 needs to be a solid plan in place in case there is breakage.

It's essential to start with a "big picture" chat with the client  to make
him/her/them partners in this. I tell them that the neglected  maintenance has
saved money but allowed the risk to accumulate; and that  while in most cases
there is no problem, in a small percentage of cases there is  breakage. If
there is, will we want to
1) restring,
2) stop tuning when the 2nd wire breaks, replace broken, tune back  down,
3) skip the pitch raise, or
4) walk away with just a service call fee.

They also need an assessment of the rest of the piano before deciding how
much to risk on the strings.

Even if the client opts out of a pitch raise entirely, a  neglected piano
will have a higher risk factor. In addition to the positives of  a piano at
proper pitch, I discuss the negative possibility of plate breakage or  case
separation, but try to put it in its proper perspective (I've never had a  plate
break while tuning [or immediately after], but I know others have).

All but #4 are going to cost more than the price of a tuning. If one just
starts whanging away and stuff does break, it looks like reckless abandon to the
 client, who will most likely freak. A properly prepared client will  not.

Bob Davis

In a message dated 9/25/2008 2:56:26 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,