Double-Bushed Guide Rails

Gerald Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Thu Sep 25 07:18:02 MDT 2008

Bill,
Hysterically speaking;
I've used a white (bushing) cloth thin laminated with the typical red bushing cloth. Did this for some pianos where I wanted to maintain the original rail specs.
3M makes an excellent spray on contact adhesive available in most art and or camera shops. Grain matching is worth monitoring prior to laminating as tearing the cloth to the exacting standard of  "3.14159 x hole diameter" might be compromised. ;)
White cloth might be challenging to find now so you might have to opt for double cloth in red. I did rely on laminating (gluing) 2 sheets since I could never quite master the technique of bushing twice without any adhesive. All that being said, I can't disagree with Davids comment of just getting the thickest cloth and single bushing. I would guess they (SS,NY)might have done the double bushed method due to limited thickness of the cloth (read:out of necessity) at that time of production.  There might still be some old timers from NY who know this technique without using any adhesives maybe they're even monitoring this list.  How about it you "old people"? :)
Gerry Cousins