Density of Hammer Mouldings

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Sep 21 20:20:38 MDT 2008

?Currently, & as far as I know, Ray is using the light maple, hard maple & the Sapele.
? But hey,for enough money...I think he'd make em?out of just about anything. Now that's customer service!
? Dale

??

Sorry, I don't know the density numbers.

?

Ronsen does make hammers with Western soft maple, and they are their lightest hammers.

?

If?I recall correctly, of the woods Ronsen has used in the past to make hammers, the density was in this order:

?

Soft Maple

Light Mahogany (Honduras?)

Walnut

Sapeli Mahogany

Hard Maple

Hornbeam

?

Don Mannino

?

Thanks for the link !

?

?

This is however hardness readings. I understand that hardness and density are sometimes closely related but it would good to know the density?of the wood species. Obviously mahogany mouldings have deeper color than maple (if they are not stained) but is there any other good reason (other than looks) that different species are used as hammer mouldings ?
This is however hardness readings. I understand that hardness and density are sometimes closely related but it would good to know the density?of the wood species. Obviously mahogany mouldings have deeper color than maple (if they are not stained) but is there any other good reason (other than looks) that different species are used as hammer mouldings ?
?

Thanks

?

?