David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Sep 20 23:19:49 MDT 2008

I don’t see that many Walters pianos around either.  I do have a customer
who has the 6’4” that was presented at the NAMM show two years ago and it is
a really nice piano with beautifully balanced and clear tone (nice voicing
job too :-)).  The newer 185 that I had some experience with out in Indiana
during production is also a very nice design but would have been better
served by a softer hammer than the one they ended up using.

Some of the problems with defining which pianos we like are that there are
different tonal goals with makes and models and some pianos just can't be
compared.

Another problem is the regression to the mean.  There are too few risk
takers.  I agree with whoever said that the best pianos are coming from the
custom rebuilders or individual designers.  Sadly, it seems that those whose
priorities become production costs (understandably) simply have to make too
many compromises.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com