Bluthner Patent Action

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Sep 20 19:15:34 MDT 2008

Hi Dave

Conceptually, one has to just look at the basic operating principles to
see how any given action is suppose to work more or less.  Bluthner at
least gives us that the action regulation is based on a 45 mm blow and a
9.4 mm dip. As in the modern action these is to be taken as approximate
guidelines as other things involved can influence how well those two
figures will work.

All things going after plan then... with a 45 mm blow (set by the hammer
rest rail and the bore length) you should be able to adjust the letoff
such that the "jack" is just barely out from under the "knuckle" with
the bottom of the key barely touching the punching.  That is to say if
the directions are to be taken literally.  That point is written so
poorly tho I wonder if whats really meant here is that the jack should
STILL be (barely) under the knuckle at the precise moment of contact
between the bottom of the key and the punching. Further depression of
the key would execute full release and explain the concept of <<no
aftertouch>>.

Stephen from France sent me some info in German I'll have to get
decifiered... (Thanks Stephen)  It will take a bit of time to do the job
nicely but I'll get to it.
As for the spring on the rocker arm.  Pulling it back towards you will
increase its holding strength, pushing it forward will lessen it.  It
should be strong enough to accept a slight drop at let off and be able
to slightly raise the hammer with any further depression of the key...
but not to the point of re-contacting the string.... unless for some
reason you decide that might be a neat effect :)

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,

    The directions do look incomplete and inaccurate in places.? I would
    certainly applaud a good instruction leaflet on these actions.?

    What would be helpful to many people--and I put myself on this
    list--is tips on bending the springs (which direction, how much,
    yadda yadda) and other minutiae that is necessary for this type of
    action specifically.

    I only service one, but I find it very interesting to work on, and
    the tone is beautiful.? Though I haven't done a great job of
    regulation (yet), it does play nicely.? I was wondering about the
    9.4 mm dip and the lack of aftertouch.?

    Thanks,
    Dave Stahl