Disinfecting Piano: ( Sorry Bill, but "bleach" might not be such a good idea.)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 17 11:09:13 MDT 2008

> Dr. Thumpe,
>
> Aha! I've been curious about this for a while, since a non-piano-tech
> acquaintance suggested an ozone generator to kill mold, etc. in a piano.
> I wondered whether a Target store model would work, and it was just
> expensive enough that I didn't want to buy it just to see.
>
> Do you have any info on devices that would do the trick?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Bruesch

My brother in law who is a housing inspector in the Long Beach
CA area tells me one of the best mold treatments for houses,
etc, is to tent the thing and heat it to 150°F for 12 hours.
That will, reportedly, thoroughly kill mold, and since there's
no place under the tent that doesn't reach the lethal
temperature, there are no out of sight colonies that a contact
fungicide would leave. It gets the stuff in the ducts, in the
walls, under the tub, etc.

For what it's worth.
Ron N