flood damage

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Sep 17 06:45:53 MDT 2008

"Yes, in time the rust will cause the strings to break. it might take another year, or maybe even longer, but eventually the rust will eat through the strings, and they will break."

I'm not sure that is true. My understanding is that once a coating of surface rust forms on steel/iron, the rust actually helps to insulate the metal from moisture and leaving rust in place will actually slow down the rate of corrosion. Pluse if the room was dried out quickly (I presume some few days or so), why would the strings corrode any more quickly than they were before the flood? If anything, whatever the string's rate of corrosion was, it would slow down now because of the little bit of rust having formed on the surface as a result of the flood. I sure don't see any reason to expect that strings will start breaking in the couple years because of anything to do with the flood.

However, of course, the layer of rust related to the flood may well be objectionable and a valid subject for argument in an insurance claim. Another thing to consider is that the piano is over 100 years old. How corrosion-free were the strings prior to the flood?

"After one heating season, the pin block might still feel OK. But in a couple of years, the pin block will dry out, and start to fail."

If the pinblock was absorbed a large amount of water, I think it likely that it would have fallen apart already (old pinblocks were glued together with hide glue) - or at least some or many pins would have an unusual feel to them. However, your point is generally valid in that it is very difficult to know the exact amount of damage that may have occurred to the pinblock without tearing the piano apart - maybe the pins are the only thing holding it together (although I really do find that unlikely if they all feel good).

The glue joints in the pinblock certainly could be damaged. However, a year is enough time for the block to "dry out". Whatever damage might have been done has likely been done. If the block is significantly damaged and the pins are holding it together, the apparent condition of the block may well continue to deteriorate, but it will be from damage already complete - likely not because of the block continuing to dry out for years.

Then we need to pose the same question again - how good was the block in this 100+ year old piano prior to the flood?

And what kind of S&S grand has plate bushings in it? Was this piano previously "rebuilt"?

Gotta agree with you on the wippens - if a few have come apart - more will likely continue - potentially similar to the pinblock, the damage has been done and glue joints have degraded - however, unlike the pinblock, the wippens get hammered around a zillion times each time the piano is played, thus putting fluctuating stresses on the impaired wippen glue joints - very likely that they will continue to fail.

"Does a handful of wippens coming apart warrant a new action?  (My customer doesn't notice anything wrong in the action so she's a bit resistant to having work done)."

>From a technical perspective, yes. From an insurance perspective, that's likely an issue for negotiation/argument.

"I also have questions about glue joints coming loose in the keywell area that seem OK now."

And for good reason. Your questions will be answered in the coming years/decades......

"Does the piano loose value because it now has a history of having been through a flood?"

Certainly if a prospective purchaser is aware of the flood history - yes, the piano will loose value - much like a used car that was parked on Bourbon Street when Katrina blew though. If the information is not known to the customer and is not apparent, then perhaps not. If you are assigning a value to the piano for insurance purposes, then indeed the flood history would devalue the instrument.

Bottom line here is that when you open the lid on that piano, you are opening a can of worms - simply very difficult to tell what may have been damaged. If you write anything up regarding this piano put about eight disclaimers in every sentence to cover your posterior!

Hope some of this helps.

Terry Farrell