Piano Took a Fall- Won't Hold Tune

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Sep 15 22:01:21 MDT 2008

> It is a Kawai UST-8 and the teacher was new 6 years ago and unaware of
> the faulty wheels, she attempted to pull/push it a way from the wall and
> WHAM down it went.
>
> The tooner that has been tuning it can't keep it in tune, the store I
> used to tune for, a Kawai dealer, offered my services to look at it and
> give an estimate. I am very familar with Kawai's, not so familiar with
> pianos that have taken a fall and the damage that can cause.
>
> I have made an appointment for Friday to go look at it, an help or
> advice would be appreciated.
>
> Mike

The first thing I'd do is is point out the inadvisability of
ever again trying to rotate any vertical piano by grabbing it
by a top corner and either pushing or pulling, regardless of
the condition of the casters. It's just way too easy to dump
these things that way even with casters in prime condition.
Show 'em how it's done.

Damage frisk, you've already gotten a good checklist from
others. The test is, if you can't find a structural fault,
tune it. If your tuning is where you expect it to be in two
weeks, you're probably fine, and they can hash out the
inconvenient details and counter indications with their
tooner. If it's not, it's on you and you keep looking, but you
can't really know without rolling the dice and tuning it.
Ron N