"Seasoned For Destination"

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 06:57:42 MDT 2008

The biggest problems I've seen are in the pinblock, soundboard/rim/rib glue
joints and bridge (loose pins and split caps).  It's more these types of
things than worn action parts.  As you say, the action part issues are
usually rectifiable, although since the pianos are unsupported by Yamaha
Corp action parts replacement can be problematic whether the reasons are
justified or not.  And, as you say, some problems, like the butt loop
problem, occur on some domestic models as well.

The main issue for me is not whether one chooses to service them or not--if
a customer calls me and has one I don't turn them away--but rather whether
you would recommend one for purchase.  I suppose if the price were low
enough you could let it go with various caveats but I have noticed that
dealers who are selling them often don't seem to have a different price
structure for the grey market versus the domestic--if they even disclose
that they are grey market at all.  That being the case, considering
potential problems, that they are unsupported in terms of acquisition of
replacement parts, the slight strike against them in terms of resale, and
considering the evidence that they don't do well in more extreme climates,
if asked, I don't recommend people purchase them.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com