"Seasoned For Destination"

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 06:17:47 MDT 2008

Bruce,If indeed your environment is "very kind" you may not have much to
worry about.
What do I see in Billerica, MA, about 25 miles inland? Soundboards that
develop cracks during their first winter stateside. Very low pin torque.
One customer bought a Yamaha C5 that was rebuilt by one of the import
outfits, in TN or KY I think. Pin torque was monstrous in July just after he
bought it; bridges and soundboard developed cracks as soon as the heat came
on in the Fall, and pinblock torque took a sudden dive.
These pianos were not outfitted with Dampp-Chaser systems, despite my
warnings to the proud new owners.
Are some of the grey market pianos OK? Yes, but the failure rate is
unacceptably high.
Patrick Draine