Help sending pictures

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 00:28:32 MDT 2008

At 21:11 -0500 11/9/08, Will Truitt wrote:

>Hi Terry:
>  Mine are your size and smaller, but for whatever reason Outlook is
>making the whole thing larger than it should be, and it’s too big.

When you send a file by email it is not sent just as it is but has to
be encoded  using an 8 to 7-bit encoding algorithm, now usually MIME
base64 but occasionally UUencode or BinHex.  This increases the
number of bytes sent by about 50%.  The recipient's mailer then
decodes the file and discards the encoded version.  All this is done
automatically by the mail programmes.

I'm afraid I can't suggest any Windows application to reduce the size
of files because I work mainly on the Mac and use an old version of
Photoshop to prepare files for the Internet; but there is so much
free stuff for Windows that I'm sure someone can suggest a freeware
app.  You can also look here:

<http://www.download.com/Digital-Photography/?tag=rb_content;contentNav>

   I don't rely on the camera to do any special sizing but do it all
on the computer working from the original high-definition files.

JD