grand hinge to rim screws stripped

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 17:08:06 MDT 2008

At 20:13 +0100 5/9/08, I wrote:

>Here's how I always do it.  It might take 30 or 40 minutes but then
>the job is properly done and stronger than what was there originally.

I've just bought another 1865 Kirkman grand which needed this repair.
In this case the repair will be ten times as good as the original
since in those days they used a greenish wood that looks like poplar,
and may be poplar but it's a lot softer than the poplar I buy now and
breaks up easily.

I have done the repair with beech and uploaded pictures of the process to
<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/top_hinge_rim_repair/>

The only stage omitted is the drilling for the screw shank about 3/8"
down after drilling the smaller holes.

After whittling the hammer shank to drive into the old holes, roll
the shank on a board as shown while pressing the knife down to score
the shank.  Hammer the dowel into the hole until the scoring is flush
with the surface.  You will then get a clean break when you break off
the shank.

JD