reducing hammer weight

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Sep 10 22:27:55 MDT 2008

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info.  Well, I got the hammer weight down where I want it.
Friction was an issue as well.  The scenario is a '50s "S" with six leads in
the bass for starters.  Replaced old S/F (15.5mm) with new HSF (17mm knuckle
spread) tapering the hammers to bring them down close to around a top-low to
1/4 medium Strike Weight Zone.  Action ration was about 5.8, now is about
5.2.

Everything else on the action is just refurbished.  Polish key pins, new
bushings, rail felts, resurface backchecks, and so on.  Bushings were part
of my problem.  The rail pins were .142 on the FR, and .145 at the BR
(?!?!).  I ended up using a .143 caul with a relatively loose fit of felt on
the FR (brass) and .147 on the BR with a relatively tight fitting felt.  The
BR worked out well, but the FR was tighter than I thought.  Once I ironed
the felt again, I reweighed and started pulling leads. It still has more
than I'd prefer, but it is a budget job and we've really made some
improvements.

New Repetitions in the future would help in the friction dept. as well, I'd
think.

Also, would you mind expanding upon your last paragraph below??

Thanks,
William R. Monroe