reducing hammer weight

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 00:09:30 MDT 2008

At 22:41 -0500 9/9/08, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>William Monroe wrote:
>>Now this is an interesting idea.  As a handplane lover (and user),
>>the idea of using a no.78 (which I have) is appealing... I keep a
>>stable of planes well tuned and well sharpened at all times.
>
>I'd be interested how the staple planing goes.

Well the worst that can happen, providing you're asleep on the job,
is that you put a little nick in the plane blade and provide yourself
with 10 minutes' work resharpening it.  The hammers I use are all
T-riveted and not stapled, so it's just a matter of folding back the
end(s) if you see a risk.  I have never split a moulding and it's
many years since I nicked a plane blade.

JD