reducing hammer weight

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Sep 9 18:47:13 MDT 2008

The noise thing aside, the table saw method of tapering won't discolor the
felt or leave the sides rough--assuming your blade is sharp.  It leaves a
very clean cut and with the proper jig (Spurlock style) is very
controllable.  The sanding method, on the other hand, definitely smears the
side of the hammer and tends to fray the felt at the edges.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com