reducing hammer weight

Garret Traylor hpp at highpointpiano.com
Tue Sep 9 10:11:09 MDT 2008

What? Less weight = more inertia?

Kindest Regards,

Garret

---

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Paul T Williams
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 10:53 AM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: reducing hammer weight

I doubt the holes were drilled to lessen weight. Rather, more inertia is put
forward of the shank, hence improving power and tone.

Paul

"Fenton Murray" <fmurray at cruzio.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org

09/09/2008 12:46 AM

Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

"Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>

cc

Subject

Re: reducing hammer weight

Just that was done on this original set of hammers on this Steinway Upright
from 1878. The top couple of octaves in the treble were drilled, my guess
weight was not the issue, but rather trying to improve the tone. First time
I have seen this, then 2 days later I see the post.
Fenton