Fujan Lever

Dave Bunch pdtek at mchsi.com
Mon Sep 8 16:12:33 MDT 2008

Since there is some ongoing discussion about the Fujan carbon fiber tuning
lever, I will add my two cents since I have just received one and have tuned
about six pianos with it. It is replacing a classic "Hale" type lever:
adjustable steel shaft, nylon handle, that I have used for the past twenty
years.

After six pianos, I still notice how very light it is every time I pick it
up off a pin. Since I have chronic neck preoblems, this alone makes it a joy
to use. There is, as someone asked, a bit of a learning curve, and I believe
it has to do with the greater stiffness of the Fujan lever. Now this is a
good thing, but takes a bit of adjustment. Using the old lever that would
flex before the pin would turn in the block, I was always compensating on a
subconcious level for the overpull that would almost always result when the
tension in the lever released as the pin started to move. So, I think my
subconcious mind is just trying to adjust to the fact that there isn't going
to be as much overpull now, which again, is a good thing. I can tell that I
am adjusting to this already, and I am past the point of ever going back to
the old lever. This is a wonderful tool.

For those interested, I have the 10 degree head, 5/8" tip extension, longer
length option (14" total) and the straight tube handle end instead of the
wood ball.

Dave Bunch