Propping up side-hinged lid

Gerald Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Mon Sep 8 13:36:43 MDT 2008

Paul, John (George and Ringo too)

You are correct in that Yamaha did produce a hinge with a modified pin to remove the top. It was found om the M1 and similar Disklavier units.
If I'm not mistaken the secret was to have the angled part of the (keyed) pin facing the 9:00 o clock position which put the inner cuts into the correct alignment for the mated hinge slots and thus removal of the top. in a straight up (12:00 o clock) movement. SOmetimes with a little coaxing to get the alignment exact. The learning curve on this procedure was short but none the less there was a learning curve. In some cases the pin "L" was facing the rear of the piano and you had to reverse the directions. There were a few I serviced in which another tech had tried forcing the issue and caused a bend and or rounding of the notch further adding to the challenge. I think Greg from Yamaha should remember which specific models this hinge was installed as well as if it is still being used. IMHO it was a very simple resolve to an often silly problem. Like many innovations in the piano industry, part of the issue was with poor educational introduction and instructions by us technical folk to transmit the knowledge to the masses on how to proceed.
Hopefully now you know.
GPC,RPT

Hi, Paul:
      I don't know about that exact model, but Yamaha
  has a special type of hinge pin on some of their pianos.  If you turn it
  in the hinge (not remove it), the hinge will come apart.  There are flats
  ground into the hinge pin that allow this to happen.  Lift the lid on the
  hinge side while you turn the hinge pin- you'll find the lid will detach at a
  certain point.  Of course, if this model doesn't have that kind of hinge
  pin, you'll have to move the piano away from the wall and remove the
  pin.  I doubt that you'll have to unscrew the hinges.  But then,
  what do I know.  Someone else on this list will confirm or deny
  this.
      Paul McCloud
      San Diego