Carbon fiber durability

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Sun Sep 7 19:12:41 MDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Schecter" <mark at schecterpiano.com>
To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2008 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: Carbon fiber durability

> Do you notice any problems with access to pins that sit close to the plate
> webbing, due to the bulk of the head? How often do you have to change tips
> to reach a pin? Thanks!

I tune a limited number of different pianos, since I work for Kawai.  I
never have any clearance problems at all - I have just the one short tip,
and with the 20 degree angle the head always clears the plate or lid of
uprights with room to spare.

In the treble of grands I put the lever out over the capo bar, facing away
from the keyboard, and stand at the side of the piano.

Don Mannino