yamaha balance rail question

Mike Morvan keymaestro at verizon.net
Sun Sep 7 16:39:10 MDT 2008

John,
    Good point, however, buttons are still bushed from underneath and this has changed very little in the last 120 years also. It is part of a production method which necessitates the little piece of cloth being there and I believe it is there for that reason alone. It is under the active mortise area and in my opinion serves no purpose. Buttons will probably be made this way until a button maker mortises a solid block of wood, inserts the cloth on both sides with a caul and then slices it like a loaf of bread. I have heard it discussed but no one seems to be doing it yet. I have also yet to see a properly rebushed mortise lose it's bushing when placing the keys back on the pins, but just when I say I haven't seen it..  Sounds like a very interesting plug method you use why don't you post pictures. I have posted a picture of a production style bushing machine so that you can see why the little cloth tabs are there. The machine inserts cloth into both sides of the mortise, a heated caul descends, the glue is activated, then a cutter comes down and trims the cloth, the button material advances and the whole process starts again.

Blackstone Valley piano
Michael A. Morvan
76 Sutton Street
Uxbridge, Ma 01569