yamaha balance rail rebushing question

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Sep 7 16:17:54 MDT 2008

Faster than.......??

Certainly not faster than rebushing just the "untucked" portion.  It adds a
step, no two ways about it.  I'm with Mr. Morvan on this one.  I see no
advantage to trying to duplicate the "tucked" bushing.  To suggest there is
"considerable" risk at pushing out  the bushing is, I think, exaggerated.  I
can honestly say I've "never" had a bushing push out on me in any
circumstance (of course, now it will probably happen next week).  ;-]

I would much more quickly buy the idea that manufacturers do this out of
expediency as Mr. Morvan points out.  I'd say if you like the idea of
reproducing the original, go for it.  If you're not married to that idea, no
harm in rebushing the keys with the "standard" rebushing method.

William R. Monroe