grand hinge to rim screws stripped

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Sep 4 12:13:35 MDT 2008

Mike Kurta wrote:
>     Hi Jessica:
>     Here's an old trick I learned from a retired technician:  Carefully
> unwind the copper winding from a bass string keeping the circular shape
> looking much like a spring.  Cut to length and insert in the stripped
> hole and put the screw back in.  Now the threads of the screw have
> something solid to bite into.  If one length is not enough, two or three
> can be used.  Depending on the looseness and size of the screw, it helps
> to have different thicknesses of copper windings on hand.
>     I have used this method successfully on stripped grand legs, music
> desks, almost anywhere.  It allows the removal and replacement of wood
> screws without enlarging the hole, and will really hold the screw
> tight.  The copper imbeds inself into the wood  and will stay there.
> This follows the same principle as "Heli-Coil" thread inserts used in
> metalworking where the threaded hole is stripped.  Good Luck!
>     Mike Kurta, RPT
>     Chicago chapter

Nice trick! I'll have to try that on an old Chang that people have run
up against the practice room wall and then opened.  ;-{

But, in Jessica's case, to avoid future problems either try removing the
lid during the move or making sure the lid is off the edge of the skid.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

Remember that, while money talks,  CHOCOLATE SINGS!