Pedal leather replacement, grand underside prep

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Thu Sep 4 06:44:12 MDT 2008

I've been making my own pedal leather stock lately.
Ecsaine glued to action cloth.

When a grand comes in, I thoroughly clean the bottom and also
the tops of the beams. Especially ones with mildew, I don't want
to introduce/encourage this in the shop.

Then two coats of black water-based acrylic. This seals in any odors
and seals the pores against mildew. Plus it looks like a million bucks
while being delivered; much more impressive than the dingy, scarred
undersides of many grands.

The trapwork levers are removed, painted and all felt and leather
replaced.  The leg chocks are backed off to allow for painting them
and beneath, their removal is not necessary.

BTW the  photo is of an O which was owned by a composer
Karol Rathaus.
http://www.classical-composers.org/comp/rathaus
--

Regards,