center repinning question

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 23:44:26 MDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 7:07 PM, holly quigley <hollyquigley at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks for the quick responses, everyone! I love this list. :)
> -Holly

Hi Holly,

I have, for the sake if expedience, on occasion done exactly what you
describe.

IMHO if you check more carefully the amount of friction on each bushing of
the flange, separately, I believe you may find many are not as tight as you
originally surmised. As the pin 'walks" out of one side of the flange the
weight of the hammer and it's full movement is now completely on the other
side, plus of course, the lateral movement, now that the hammer and butt are
free to "flagpole" in a much larger arc than otherwise possible. Upon closer
examination you will probably find many flanges with very uneven wear on one
side versus the other, usually the right/treble side of the flange,
requiring a pin 2 or 3 sizes larger than the original if you're lucky,
rebushing if you're not.
Good Luck,
Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com