center repinning question

holly quigley hollyquigley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 12:43:53 MDT 2008

Hi all -
This seems like a pretty beginner level question, so I'm almost embarrassed
to ask. I'm working on a small fleet of 30-40 year old Yamaha consoles. Most
of them have center pins that have walked out of the butt flanges. However,
I'm finding that since these all have the metal tabs on the hammer butts, if
I just press the pin back into the joint and tighten the tab screw, it's a
snug fit. No wiggling back and forth, and at most I'm getting 5 swings. I
don't want to assume anything and shirk off what needs to be done, but at
the same time, I have other things to do than repinning if this indicates
that it *doesn't* need repinning. Am I making sense? I have a lot of
repinning experience, my earliest training was actually with a school full
of P22's which did not have the metal tabs, but had a bunch of repinning
needed. Can someone give me a little quick clarity on this? If the pins have
walked out is it an absolute that they should be repinned, or is it just a
case of no one ever tightened those metal tab screws?
Thanks!
-Holly Quigley