removing hammer rest rail

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Sep 1 06:02:22 MDT 2008

Bending a hammer rest rail pivot arm is asking for trouble. Because
when it breaks,
you're in sheeeeep dip.  Not only will extricating the broken shank
in the rail be
challenging, finding a replacement will have you scavenging for scrap uprights.

Remove the end bracket (usually bass end) and then slide the rail out
of the others,
a few hammer butts may have to be removed for pivot arm clearance. A few extra
minutes doing this (paid labor) will save you hours of repairs
(gratis/aggravation).

For the Yamaha verticals, the pivot arms are screwed to the rail and
only the treble
end arm needs to be removed.

I may still have a few salvaged pivot arms from back in the days when
I was bold
enough to bend them. Since someone on the list recommended removing the
end bracket, a light when on, and I've adopted that practice. Don't
learn the lesson
the hard way.
--

Regards,