trimming new keytops

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Wed Oct 29 14:29:40 MST 2008

Shawn,

In answering this question, I would have to imagine how I would do it if
I were in a completely darkened room. It might be easy enough to trim
the keytops flush with the sides by putting sandpaper on a flat surface
and then laying each side of the keystick on the abrasive, leaning
almost completely on the edge of the keytop so that no appreciable wood
is removed from the keystick. Check for when you've sanded the keytop
flush, of course.

To file the notch accurately, you might get a block of wood, one inch by
something by something convenient, and glue a piece of coarse sandpaper
to one edge (you could glue another piece to the opposite edge while
you're at it). That way you can file the notch down to where it is flush
with the keystick, so that it will clear the sharps. You want the short
edge of the notch to lie on a continuous line from bass to treble, so
this part will need some extra care.

Finish up with a brand new mill smooth file, rounding off the edges and
touching up the notch. I usually do this while hand holding the keystick
but a vise with padded jaws might work better for you.

Good luck

Tom Cole