Role of the Staple on a hammer

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 17:22:53 MST 2008

McMorrow’s hammer method involves several applications of lacquer solution
which renders the tension aspect of the hammer fairly inconsequential.  In
this case I agree with him that the staple is unnecessary.  On tensioned
hammers I do believe that the staple provides necessary support.  That being
said, the type of staple may make a difference.  If the staple is not
substantial enough to hold the tension then I would recommend a strong
lacquer solution much like the reinforcers that you mention to stabilize the
lower region of the hammer.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com