Contiguous Major Thirds Accuracy?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 07:32:28 MST 2008

On 10/28/08, Jeff Deutschle <oaronshoulder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you explain how the A3-E4 and E4-A4 beat speeds are equal in a 4:2
> octave?

No .... :-).  But, that's one of the tests for a 4:2 octave. The other
main one is the M3-M10.

The fact that a fifth beats a bit less than it's contiguous fourth is
because most tuners begin with a slightly expanded "4:2" octave.

E.g., A3-D4 is usually faster than D4-A4. But if they're equal
beating, it verifies a just 4:2 octave.

--
JF