Comparing piano belly to other instruments

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Mon Oct 27 07:28:40 MST 2008

Hi John,

the grater majority of guitarists and string players believe that instruments sound better with age.  I also believe that this is true in most cases.  One
can look at the prices of most well built instruments from now and yesterday and see a substantial price increase for the older instruments.  For example
a Martin HD28 built today will go for less than $2000, while the same guitar built in the 30s will go for up to $100000.  Most companies swear that they
build a better instrument today than ever and I also believe that.  How can we not be more efficient in 2008 than 1930?  We have made so many advances
with machines such as the CNC, and most importantly we have the past mistakes of others that we can learn from.  I often wonder what the reasons could
be that widen the gap between the sound of new and vintage instruments.  Perhaps its because we now put thicker braces in new guitars to lessen the possibility
of the top collapsing, or maybe its the thicker coats of lacquer that restrict the body's vibration.  I have never been a fellow who is caught up in conspiracy
theories but I wonder if perhaps pollution of trees makes some sort of a difference.  Pretty far out hmm?  I can tell you that the string instruments I
own are 98 percent hand built and that makes a big difference!  I have noticed that a lot of the hand built violins, mandolins and guitars of this day do not get much better over time.  It seems that after a month of playing they hit a threshold and are 99 percent as good as they will ever get.  I don't know why this would be, but I assume that the wood is dried properly and the wood selection is hand picked by the artisan and he or she knows what they are looking for to get the sound they want.  I know builders who go to Europe just to select wood for guitar tops and they claim its because of the age of the wood.  I had a mandolin that had a European Spruce top and the builder told me he brought back a church pew to cut several tops from.  He declared that the wood was at least 400 years old.  Another thing that I have always found astonishing is you can't judge the instrument by the beauty of the wood.  Some guitars that have Brazilian rosewood back and sides and an European Spruce top with beautiful grain can sound like crap!  As best as I can tell the tone wood used for the top/or soundboard, tap tuning the air chamber and brace/rib placement are the 3 most important factors in string instrument building.

Regards,
Shawn Brock, RPT
513-316-0563
www.shawnbrock.com