rescaling for copper-wound strings

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 23:06:59 MST 2008

At 21:44 -0500 26/10/08, Michael Collin wrote:

>Kimball consolettes have strings past the bass break that are wound
>with something other than copper (aluminum?).  These strings always
>sound dead.  Does replacing those strings with copper-wound strings
>improve the tone?  If so, is there a way to calculate the specs for
>the copper-wound strings based on the existing string specs?  (I
>assume the heavier copper requires different gauge/winding length,
>etc.)

You'd might do better to use plain wire for the bichords here and not
bother with copper.  This is what the now defunct (thank goodness!)
English firm of Welmar did, and the result was quite acceptable.

You will find formulae here
<http://strings.pianomaker.co.uk/formulae.html> together with an
explanation and a description of how to use them on a standard
calculator.  Use a wire that will give you a tension round about
160-180 lbs.

JD  (Stringmaker)