Contiguous Major Thirds Accuracy?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Oct 25 21:32:56 MDT 2008

David Andersen wrote:
> Spot on the money, PRJ. So good it coulda come from Nossaman....<g>
> DA
>

> On Oct 25, 2008, at 2:11 PM, paulrevenkojones at aol.com
> <mailto:paulrevenkojones at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> David (Boyce)...
>>
>> Just a word on the contiguous 3rd's and their accuracy. However you
>> start, from F3 to A, A to C#, C# to F4, e.g., none of the first
>> settings of these pitches is precise, absolute, or unmovable, until
>> other intervals become available to refine them, at which point they
>> will become highly refined. The 2nd group of contiguous 3rd's, from
>> F#3 etc. are significantly more precise than the first group since
>> there are now more intervals from which to check. And so on. I have
>> found, however, that I can set that first group of contiguous 3rd's
>> such that, without listening to F3, I can almost always get an almost
>> "perfect" octave at F4 just by climbing the contiguous 3rd's and
>> balancing the middle 3rd correctly between the two others. It depends
>> on the piano, its scale, inharmonic qualities, etc. Spinets require
>> jiggling the intervals differently from 9-footers. It all ends up
>> "tuned", though. There is little to be gained from thinking in cents!
>> deviation in aural tuning on such wildly moving intervals as 3rd's,
>> 6th's, etc. When all is said and done, a completed tuning is a
>> completed tuning. For the several micro-seconds after completion that
>> it remains a "tuning". :-)
>> Paul

Paul,
This sounds like good solid realism to me, except for two
things. I sure wouldn't expect to be able to hit an accurate
octave building contiguous thirds from the lower note. I have
to set the octave first and interpolate thirds in between -
then try to fix it all later. The second point is that I don't
remember ever completing a tuning. Diminishing returns,
defined by the resolution of the instrument, time investment
against a finite life span and energy pool, venue
requirements, my ultimately limited skill set, and the
internal background noises in my skull determine when I need
to quit. The mix varies with every appointment. Then those
microseconds swarm in and do the rest.

David,
Get a job.

And a haircut. <G>