Panel drying and finishing

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sat Oct 25 12:48:02 MDT 2008

Dave,
Applying  finish to one side will have a minor similarity to ribbing the
panel with flat ribs. Allowing only the unfinished side to pick up moisture,
or a least more moisture than the finished side, will allow that side to
expand. The tensile strength of even the thinnest ribs far surpasses the
strength required to hold one side of a panel stable as the other expands as
in CC construction. I would think even veneer strips would be enough to
crown a panel, maybe even masking tape. Not that I have any experience with
CC construction, just off the wall commentary. As to your question of
potential adverse affects of ribbing up a panel that was slightly unstable
because of finish on one side and the uneven transfer of moisture, I
wouldn't think the panel is going to care much once machine crowned ribs are
glued up to create your rib crowned soundboard assembly. I have looked under
many old pianos trying to see how they handled these types of chores. It
seems I'm always seeing glue squeeze out, for that reason I rib up the
panel, clean up the glue, then tape the sides and shoot it, looking
underneath you will see a very small trace of the glue staining under the
finish, this doesn't look bad as long as you don't use Titebond with it's
ugly yellow color, great glue, but ugly.  The problem I've had here is
having the possibility of a little bare wood exposed along the liner when
looking underneath, for that reason I now favor a little extra finish for
look's sake, this leaving perhaps a small amount of finished soundboard in
the glue joint. I could probably be arrested for that, but I'll take my
chances. Remember, my total experience is still under a half dozen boards.
Rhonda and I are going on a cruise next week, 5 days and 4 nights out of LA
to Catalina and Ensenada. $200 each for everything, how can they do that?
Who cares, I'd spend more than that at home, see ya.
Fenton