Contiguous Major Thirds Accuracy?

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 05:26:27 MDT 2008

There are many posts in the archives saying that a ladder of CM3s
(Contiguous Major Thirds) is very accurate, but nobody has says *how*accurate.

I am hoping that some of the members of this list could say how accurately,
in tenths of cents, they are able to set a ladder of CM3s aurally before any
other notes are tuned for other checks.

Please don't think I am trying to start a fight. When I set a ladder of
CM3s, I am never sure that each note is *exactly* where it ought to be. And
when I do the math, it seems that there could be errors of 1.5 cents and
still have progressively beating M3s, although they might not sound evenly
progressive or have a 4:5 beat ratio. I am wondering how accurate they are
usually tuned by an experienced tuner.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.