Panel drying and finishing

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 20:33:09 MDT 2008

Quite a treatise.  Actually my question was much simpler and I was just
wondering about putting a warped panel into a rib press and more
specifically would it make any difference in how the panel reacted
ultimately.  This following a suggestion someone made a week or two ago
about finishing the ribbed side before ribbing so that the glue could be
wiped off more easily.  On the surface, so to speak, it seemed like a good
idea, until I started thinking about the warp problem if the panel wasn't
preconditioned before finishing.  As for my own method, they are RC&S boards
so the crowning issue is a non issue.  I don't finish either side first
because I don't really care about a few minor glue smears on the bottom of
the board underneath a finish but I'm always open to easier ways to clean
up.  I do finish the bottom of the board after ribbing before it's glued in
(of course masking off the areas of rim contact) and I while I have
conditioned the board again prior to installing it sometimes, I don't
always--another area where there is some disagreement--I haven't noticed any
difference.  As for squeeze out, I think if you don't have squeeze out along
the entire length of the rib on both sides, you're not using enough glue.
More danger there than in having a too much.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com