Panel drying and finishing

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 19:27:56 MDT 2008

? Dave
? If its a bad idea a then I'm in trouble. By quickly taping off the glue joint & spraying on one good coat of wet shellac I/we find it so much easier to clean up glue this way.??I've done it this way 14 years. I've seen no detrimental consequence & the board ends up spotlessly clean. The board is dry & ready to press. We tape and shoot the board & then back to the hot box & then in the?Morning Dennis turns on the country music & as he says "we need?put some soul into it".?It's show time..we press it up
? Dale

I have heard of some individuals who prefinish the side of the panel to be
ribbed first masking off the area that will be in contact with the inner rim
as well as the ribs.  I have not done this yet the idea of slightly easier
cleanup of glue without it soaking into the wood near the ribs is tempting.
However, I have found that when a piece of wood only has a finish on one
side and you change the EMC, it tends to warp.  First, why is that and does
that tendency suggest that the one side finishing process prior to ribbing
is a bad idea?

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com