The finite life of wood grain, old piano restoration

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 23 07:01:40 MDT 2008

Not to prolong this thread but I came in late and think someone along
the way questioned whether any reputable restoration was possible with
out replacing soundboards. Check this <http://tinyurl.com/5o3olw> out. I
was lucky enough to meet these folks some years ago and they do
absolutely amazing work. I think one of the underlying assumptions here
is that the new pianos are necessarily better than old ones, and that's
simply not the case. They are built with different expectations and
mental models of what a piano ought to be but that doesnt make them
better or worse, simply different, and they should be judged on their
own terms.

--Dave

  New Orleans.