the myth of the finite life of wood grain /AA

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert at belgacom.net
Tue Oct 21 07:34:23 MDT 2008

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] De la part
de Richard Brekne
Envoyé : mardi 21 octobre 2008 9:52
À : pianotech at ptg.org
Objet : the myth of the finite life of wood grain /AA

Hi Anne

Would you say that in general soundboards from pre 1880 were made

without the use of compression... i.e. not drying out the boards enough

before attaching the ribs to induce more then very very moderate

compression levels ?

cheers

RicB

    I regularly work with pianos that are well over 100 to 200 years old

    with their original soundboards, and the boards are just are still

    "alive".   I'm just starting a late 19th century 8'6" Viennese piano

    that is in original condition and will still knock your socks off.

    The only ones I find which die are very late 19th and 20th century

    pianos with soundboards installed with "tight" crowns, particularly

    compressed crowns.

    AA

I agree totally. From the about 10 oldys (1805 to 1870) I’ve restored al had
a nice and rich sound.

The last one (a French Boisselot from 1838) had de soundboard unglued from
the ribs and rim , lots of cracks and even the briges were loose.

Glued all that back together and the result is a nice tone with quite a bit
of sustain except for the last octave.

Pierre Gevaert