shock absorber

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 18:12:21 MDT 2008

Making the right kind of cushion is the challenge as, let’s face it, many
voicers can’t tell the difference between a hammer which flexes in the
shoulders and one which is softened in the crown.  Thus the approach for a
too hard hammer is often to simply needle the crap out of the crown.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work and as the hammer develops it will sound
mushy and inflexible (meaning too soft on a soft blow but harsh on a loud
blow) rather than simply too harsh overall.

Creating a flexible shoulder is often something that you can’t necessarily
hear at first until you release the final bit of tension from nearer the
crown, so it can sound like nothing is happening when, in fact, something
is.  Therein lies some of the art as you need to be able to feel the
consistency of the felt through the needles much like you learn to feel the
pin move through the tuning hammer.  A skilled voicer can get the
consistency reasonably close without ever listening to the hammer but just
by the feel of the needles in the felt.

I can’t really say what actually happens to the hammer string contact and
whether it’s more like a shock absorber or more like storing energy
(although the storage concept eludes me somewhat consider the length of time
of hammer contact and the ability of the hammer to “return energy to the
string”).  I can say that with a more flexible shoulder you can feel the
bounce as if the two springs (hammer and string) are somehow more equal or
balanced.  It’s not surprising, then, that a stiffer string scale would
accommodate, actually require, a stiffer or firmer spring in the hammer.

Which brings me to the final point.  Since the stiffness of the string
spring (and accompanying soundboard spring, let’s not forget) varies from
piano to piano, and since many of the pianos we like have relatively low
tension scales with light and fairly flexible soundboards, why do the hammer
makers, for the most part, make only hammers that seem to be tailored for
scale tensions and soundboard springs that are for the most part in the
minority?

So many questions, so few answers.

Thanks again Ray!

David Love