Best approach for acquiring new business.

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 09:16:54 MDT 2008

Shawn asks:

<< 1: Sending out postcards to most or all of the churches in my area.  2:
Good old fashion cold calls.  I have not tried the cold calls method for a few
years, but I recall that it didn't work vary well for me previously.  On the
other hand I don't want to waste money on sending out maybe 1000 postcards to
get one tuning on a old Baldwin 243.  Why we all know nothing is a sure bet when
trying to get new business we know some things work better than others.  So
what do you think the best and most profitable approach has been for you?  >>

Greetings,
     With the price of postage, and the flood of junk mail that seems to clog
mailboxes these days, I would question the return on investment of sending
cold post cards. The cold call is difficult, but if I was a music director at a
church, and a service person contacted me about giving me more bang for the
buck, I would listen, at least.  You can warm up these calls a little by having
a name they know as a reference.
    You may need to offer a tuning for his/her consideration.  Make it on the
basis of "If this piano doesn't sound great, you don't need to pay me."  Be
aware that often the choir director has their own personal tuner doing the
church pianos, too, and there is little chance you will break that arrangement.
   The most profitable approach for me was to not only do high quality work,
but make sure the customer understood the difference between that and mediocre
work. Bill Garlick always told us that educating the customer was a big part
of the job.   I was sorta prideful and stupid in the beginning, thinking that
advertising was just for those whose work wasn't up to snuff.  That is a dumb
approach for someone early in their career, but what did I know?!  A chance
encounter with Harold Bradley,(a big name in Nashville), broke me into the
recording studios and a month later, I was swamped.  I have been as busy as I
wanted to be since.
   For the long term, putting the customers interest first is the best way to
guarantee a successful career.  If you do this, customers will talk about you
to their musical friends. This is the best way to get new business.   There
will be a few cases where it costs us money, but the investment is a sound one.

    If you are sure of yourself, willing to look out for the customer's
interest, and have the skills to do quality work for a fair price, the eye contact
will transmit most of the important information.  Remember also that music
teachers have far too much authority,(in the eyes of the parents of the kids
taking lessons), and often have a musical ego to match.  They might be proud of
that Acrosonic that they have taught lessons on for the last 20 years, so be
careful about telling them it is a worn out piece of junk.
    Ultimately, we need to remember that 90% of meaningful communication with
most customers is non-verbal.  They make their decision primarily on how the
feel about you, personally.  Honesty transmits itself, and sincerity is hard
to fake.  It helps to not carry the stench of your last cigarette into the
home,  and to not track mud across their rug....

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at
your destination.  Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>