Weickert Special-By Wurzen

andré oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Fri Oct 17 16:13:20 MDT 2008

On Oct 17, 2008, at 7:49 PM, Gevaert Pierre wrote:

> Hi André,

Hello Pierre, (;

> I  am also much interested in your book about voicing. Voicing  is
> and has always been the most dificult item for me.
> (Even afther your great demonstration in Brussels years ago !)

It is probably the most difficult thing in all of the piano industry.
I can think of a few other very difficult piano jobs.. what about
dampers? what about designing and constructing soundboards?
Anyway, voicing remains a mystery to many, but it should not be so.
After many years of learning, experimenting, and making huge mistakes,
I know a little bit more about it.
It takes, I think, at least 20 to 30 years of practice to feel easy
about voicing.

> This Weickert Special felt is intrigueing me as I’ve installed my
> first set of Wurzen A (not AA) onto an old German grand and these
> seems to be a lot  to hard for me (and also to big)
> I thought this Wurzen A felt would be much softer. I’m surprised
> that you say that they are to soft for you.
> Maybe I had a set that was harder than usually.

That's probably the case.
The 'soft spot' is usually around the killer octave.
If you have a hard hammer it will be nasty, if you have a soft hammer
it will be nasty and it requires more than just needling.

> The old (ruined) hammers were verry soft and elastic and still
> sounded verry nice.That’s why I’d like to try to  needle them like
> hell to mach the same softness of the original ones.
> It seems to me that a soft elastic hammer can sound as clear as a
> hard hammer but not so hard.

Pierre, in the end it all depends on the quality and liveliness of the
soundboard.
If you have a difficult soundboard, you can go stand on your head...

> So André, what would you think that could happen when needling a
> Wurzen A hammer unrtil it gets a bit spongy like the oldys ?? (‘not
> in the trebble of course !)

It's like this :
Some sort of 'cushion' is required. A well made cushion acts like a
shock absorber.
However, if too much cushion has been applied, the basic power has
been needled away.
There is a nice rule :
If a hammer sounds 'stony', like a pebble, there are usually two
reasons for it :
1. either the cushion (shock absorber) is too hard.
2. or, the cushion is ok but the crown is too percussive due to a lack
of needling or too much pounding.
3. or it is a combination of the two.

One should aim for :
Power! always Power!
a shock absorber (cushion) to soften the violence and shrillness (too
much emphasis on the higher partials)
and.. extremely important :
we should be able to FEEL the vibrations through the key!
No vibes, no power, meaning too much cushion.

> I think I would like to live in the US  as a tech  because of this
> different approach of hammer hardness.
>
> Maybe this Weickert Special is what I’m looking for.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Pierre Gevaert

America is a great country.
Belgium too is a very nice place to be Pierre!
There aint no Bruxelles overthere hehehehe.....

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Antoni van Leeuwenhoekweg 15